Community and Geriatric Medicine
We offer inpatient and outpatient assessment and rehabilitation services for older people. We provide specialist comprehensive geriatric assessments for a range of age-related conditions including dementia and cognitive impairment, balance and mobility impairments, continence problems, polypharmacy and general medical problems experienced in older age. We take a multidisciplinary approach with input from medical, nursing and allied health staff.
Our services include:
- inpatient and ambulatory assessment and rehabilitation
- general clinics to assess a wide range of problems
- specialist clinics (memory, balance and mobility, continence, Parkinson’s disease, allied health)
- Aged Care Assessment Team assessments
- home visiting medical reviews
- the regional Parkinson’s disease service
- country visiting service (medical clinics in Geraldton and Narrogin).
Our inpatient services are based in Ward V5 at Fremantle Hospital.
Our staff members also work in the orthopaedic wards and assist in treating patients with hip fractures and similar conditions.
We run outpatient assessment and rehabilitation services at the Moss Street Centre.
Aged Care Assessment Team
The Fremantle Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) conducts inpatient and home-based assessments for residential care, transitional care and community support services and is located with our offices on Level 5, V Block, Fremantle Hospital.
We encourage you to be actively involved in all aspects of your health care and invite you to read the Patient First booklet found throughout Fremantle Hospital.
Information for health professionals
Information for GPs
Name: Jan Peek
Position: Receptionist, Department of Community and Geriatric Medicine
Phone: + 61 8 9431 2673
Fax: +61 8 9431 2993
Name: Deborah Paynter
Position: Coordinator, Aged Care Assessment Team
Phone: +61 8 94313245
Fax: +61 8 9431 2993
All routine general referrals should be made through the Central Referral Service.
Fax: 1300 365 056
Central Referral Service
PO Box 3462
Midland WA 6056
Or via Secure Message (mMex) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
If the patient requires urgent review in a specialist clinic you must:
- first discuss this with the relevant registrar or consultant via switchboard on 9431 3333
- fax the referral (with any attached reports), clearly marked 'urgent' and stating the name of the doctor you have spoken to, to the Fremantle Hospital Central Receipting Clinic on 9431 2009 or to the departmental fax if so directed.
- ensure the fax header clearly identifies:
- patient's name
- clinic referred to
- appointment date
- total number of pages.
Please refer to GP Liaison for further information.
Download a referral form (PDF 1MB)
We are involved in medical, nursing and allied health undergraduate and postgraduate education and have an active clinical research program.
The Staff Development Service provides a range of continuing education programs to support the learning needs of staff.
Our team includes:
- doctors (geriatricians, trainee geriatricians and junior doctors)
- occupational therapists
- social workers
- speech pathologists
- clinical psychologists
- clerical staff.
See current job vacancies (external site).