Freedom of Information

Under the Freedom of Information Act 1992 (external site), everyone has the right to apply for access to medical records and other documentation held by Fremantle Hospital subject to some limitations or exemptions.

Requesting information

Your request for access must be in writing, via a formal letter of request or by completing a FOI application form (PDF 259KB).

Your request / application should also include:

  • sufficient relevant details to identify the requested information
  • a postal / residential address in Australia
  • lodgement at an office of the agency with any applicable fee payable under the regulations
  • appropriate authorisation and other relevant documentation where applicable
  • your current proof of identification.

Download the FOI application form (PDF 259KB).

Amending your personal information

If you receive information that you believe contains inaccuracies, is incomplete, out of date or misleading, you may apply to have that information amended.

Your request for an amendment must be in writing and must provide relevant details and documented evidence to support your claim.  If your amendment is refused, you will be notified of the reasons why and you will be advised of your rights of review regarding that decision.

Applying from overseas

The FOI Act does not apply to requests received from outside Australia, unless the applicant can nominate an agent within Australia for delivery to or collection by the agent.

Where to lodge your application

Should you require any further advice or assistance with your request, please contact us at:

Freedom of Information Office, Fremantle Hospital
PO Box 480

M Block, Gate 6 Entrance, Alma Street

Phone: 9431 2685
Fax: 9431 2216
Email the Freedom of Information Office

More information

Read more in our FOI brochure (PDF 253KB) or in the application form (PDF 259KB).

Read the SMHS Freedom of Information Statement of Compliance (PDF 1.1MB).

For a comprehensive review of Freedom of Information in Western Australia, visit the Office of the Information Commissioner Western Australia (external site).